The Garden of Roses at Hex Castle is a restored formal Renaissance garden, originally begun in 1770 by Prince Bishop Velbruck in 1770.. The gardens are of a formal Renaissance style while the surrounding parkland reflects the natural English style. About 250 varieties of roses are found throughout the property.
Since 1970 Countess Michel dUrsel renewed and increased the collection of roses. Some bushes are originals which date back to the to the construction of the castle. Others are plants which the Countess dUrsel brought back from her travels to replace those which had died. She also added many modern varieties, but always those that were in harmony with these gracious surroundings.